Students get the benefit of one on one tutoring with the fun and support of being part of a group!
Our after-school program offers both specialized reading tutoring in a group setting along with STEM enrichment activities.
Participants meet twice a week for 90 minutes.
In the first 45 minutes, students receive tutoring in a specialized method based on the Orton-Gillingham approach
In the last 45 minutes, we do STEM projects, following the Maker Space philosophy (Empathize, Define, Ideate, Prototype, Test) methodology
STEM units have included everything from Kitchen Chemistry, to the Science of Music, to All things Space, and more. Students have also participated in a long-term project to save the pollinators (butterflies and honey bees).
Our STEM program also includes our monthly Science Saturdays where students travel to local museums, science centers, organizations, and companies. Different experiences have included tours of National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, Carderock Naval Lab, Thinkabit Qualcomm lab, OGSystems and more. On some Science Saturdays we provide parents with the opportunity to hear from a speaker on such relevant topics as assistive technology, evaluating for dyslexia, and more.
Step 1: Informational Meetings and Application
- We kick off our enrollment period with an info meeting where we explain our program to interested parents and students
- We then accepted applications at the meeting and for the week following
- Students are taken on a first come, first serve basis. If we have more students than spots, a waitlist will be started
Step 2: Evaluation
- Prior to our first session, we conduct an informal evaluation to see if our tutoring methodology would benefit the student.
- We also conduct an interview with the parent or guardian to hear why they believe their student would benefit and to assess their economic need
Step 3: Begin the program
- Once we have filled each slot, we kick off the program!
- In order for our methodology to be effective, students need to be in our program for 2 years. For this reason, we ask families to fill out a contract, acknowledging the level of commitment.
SDSquared strives to make our services affordable. For example, because of the generosity of our sponsors, we are able to offer a limited number of spots at reduced tuition for those on free and reduced lunch programs.
SDSquared Cost versus Private Tutoring
Cost of SDSquared After School Program:
Fee covers 2 sessions per week in both tutoring and STEM enrichment. The cost covers all fees, materials, speakers, etc. Once you commit, you are locked into that rate for 2 years of the program.
Average cost of tutoring and STEM enrichment outside using traditional tutors:
STEM enrichment: $25/session = $200/month